Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Too Short Pants

Denim jacket, TJ Maxx. Cropped trousers, Moda International (cropped by me). Tank, NY & Co. Slingbacks, Wild Diva. Bag, Franco Sarto. Brooch, some department store.

These pants (and their twin, green-striped pair) were too short to wear with heels. I’m not sure if they were always too short or if they shrunk in the wash, but I became increasingly uncomfortable wearing them. Things came to a head when Angie, of You Look Fab, left me a comment pointing out they were about three inches too short for even my lowest heels. I contemplated my options. Because I rarely wear flats to work and would never sport pale, wide-leg pants without a heel, a change of footwear was not going to happen. Although the pants have a generous 2.5” hem, the edges are too worn to simply let it out. I nearly resigned myself to donating the trousers to the thrift store when I realized I could just make them shorter.

I consulted YLF posts on pants length, cropped trousers, and capris. Then, I donned my pants and experimented with different leg lengths by folding and pinning the excess fabric. I decided on a hem that hit at about the middle of my calf muscle. The result is roughly six inches shorter than the original trousers.


I haven’t chopped the green pair yet. I’m going to wear the pink pants a few times to see how I like the length. I always fight the suspicion that cropped pants make me look squat. I wouldn’t dare pair them with flats, but now I can wear them with my highest heels for a super long look.

17 comments:

Stacy Kraus McDonald said...

I love altering clothes like that... I have a bunch of things that I think should be tweaked. I love the new look - I'd say do the green ones too!

ICE COLD SURF said...

Kasmira, hello, your friend Londyn dropped by my blog and left a comment reffering to me and you maybe knowing eachother. That we could've been in Japan around the same times. I'm kinda curious, altho you don't look familiar, but almost 10 years ago I didn't look the same either.

Hope to hear from you, Thanks!

Elisabeth said...

Lovely outfit; the colors are lovely together and really suit you.

Kim said...

I like it and I love that top.

Kimberly said...

I don't think they have a squatening effect, but they do lack a lengthening effect. They're not the most glamorous pants (glam-pants?) but you made a really fun summer look out of them. I would opt to go a little bit shorter, but I think that might make them even more casual-seeming.

Anyway, my point is, this outfit works for me!

Jane said...

I love your jacket.
I wonder if you would like to take part in my Capsule Wardrobe Challenge which I poste don my blog.
"Calling all you creative fashionistas. If you could choose only ten items to see you through a working week, what ten items would you choose. This includes everything including accessories but not underwear!"

Natalee said...

They don't make you look squat. I like them!

sentimental_grl said...

What great timing! Yesterday I received a jacket/pants set I'd ordered, but the trousers are too short. The jacket is longer, brocade, and slightly fitted; the slacks flat-front, close to the body, slight bootleg, and have no room to let the hem out (and I need another 3 inches at least). I'll definitely keep the jacket, as I can pair with other things, but would like to wear it with the pants as well. Proportionally speaking, would you recommend shortening or looking for 3"- to 4"-wide matching textured ribbon to try to lengthen? (I'm 5'10", if that helps.) I'd be grateful for any advice offered.

P.S. I think this outfit looks very fresh, and doesn't shorten you at all.

Kasmira said...

sick tight - I was in Okinawa from Fall 2000 to Spring 2004.

workthatwardrobe - sounds fun....and challenging!

sentimental_girl - I think you could go either way. I've seen skirts and dresses lengthened with a solid, satin band at the hem and it looked really nice. I think it depends how much you'd wear cropped pants. I'd suggest pinning them up to cropped length and dressing up in possible outfits to see if they'd work with your wardrobe and style. Cropping would probably be easier than finding a coordinating bit of fabric for the hem.

Christy said...

I like this outfit. I generally hate denim on top and cropped pants, but I love the way it looks on you for some reason. What's your secret?

Sydney Hell said...

Hi Kasmira!
I ran across you when I googled the word "auburn", crazy!
Anyway I love your style and the fact that you wear bold colors that make a statement, go girl!
-Sydney

ICE COLD SURF said...

Kasmira - I was there in 2000 for 6 months than back for all of 2001 and some of 2002. I was on camp butler.......

sabina said...

Great idea! A girlfriend of mine decided to the same thing and the results are great. I love your shoes. They add great punch.

xo

Sabina

Say said...

Really fun outfit! I've tried to do this with a pair of pants, but they didn't turn out so well because the pants weren't loose enough around the knee. I ended up with a tapered capri look. Not good. Your pants were a perfect fit to make the capri work.

Leslie said...

I'm totally impressed (of course since I can hardly sew a button, I am impressed by anyone doing their own alterations!) I actually like them better cropped--I don't think they make you look squatty at all!

divasoul said...

I like the shortened length. I'm not really a tight "capri" person, so the cropped loose leg look is appealing to me. LOVE your shoes.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.