Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Scarf Week: Chi Chi Wrap

Scarf, Echo. Denim jacket, Forever 21. Blouse, H&M (swapped). Dress, Newport News. Lace-up pumps, Isaac Mizrahi for Target. Bag, Payless. Earrings, Panagea. Ring, swap.


This is my favorite style of scarf, the “long” oblong. And I’ve wrapped it in my favorite manner. Someone’s probably already claimed a name for this type of wrapping, but I couldn’t find it, so I christen it the “chi chi wrap.” How to do the chi chi:


Hold on....not done yet!

All I’ve done so far is wrap the scarf around my neck twice. Next, I’ll isolate one of the loops in front of my neck, and feed both free ends of the scarf through the loop, top to bottom, to secure the wrap and create a full look over the breast (this is the “chi chi” part). You’ll need to do some adjusting to ensure that both ends hang to the same length.


SO chi chi chic!

Other ways to wear an oblong scarf around your neck include:

- Wrapped with the ends hanging free (without the tuck of the chi chi wrap)


For a cleaner look, you can hide the free ends behind your back, under a sweater or coat.

- Wrapped and knotted


- Tied in a bow


- Doubled, with the free ends pulled through the loop (also knows as the Italian or Hacking Knot)


The oblong scarf also works well as a belt and headband, but I prefer them around my neck.

Do you have another favorite way to wear an oblong scarf?

14 comments:

Leslie said...

Im really liking scarf week--probably because Im a big fan with a massive collection myself. Todays is very fun!

My favorite way to wear is a Euro loop or twisted twice around the neck and knotted with the excess hanging down the back. Having short hair, it adds a little dimension to the back of the outfit.

The Cocoa Goddess said...

I'm quite useless with scarves, although I seem to have more than my share of them. I'm glad you're doing Scarf Week so I can get some ideas.

Jane said...

At the Flamenco concert last weeks I saw a woman wearing the scarf the chi chi way and was trying to work out how to do it.
Thanks for making it so clear. I am loving scarf week too.

Triin said...

Oh, I just love your yellow bag at the first pic! I have orange and I´m missing yellow now:)
Greetings from Estonia (if you know where it is...)

Kim said...

You. Are. A. Goddess.
Seriously, I usually buy one or two scarves every winter, then either just wear one the normal boring way or forget about them all together. You've renewed my interest.
This outfit might be in the top five favorites of mine!

Katie Keisler said...

Seriously - my FAVORITE scarf in your whole collection of scarves! The colors are fan-freakin-tastic!

Thanks for the lesson on how you tied it too! :-)

Kayleigh said...

Yup, this one is my big time FAVE -- I can't wait to go scarf shopping now!!!!

And as usual, I adore the outfit :)

Milly said...

nice scarf...i shall try the "chi-chi" myself

*Tanyetta* said...

very very very nice!!

Unknown said...

Hii Girl
Love your blog.. been a visitor for about 2 ys now.. never commented :( Had one suggestion though, it will help me keep my life little organized :D

-- can you also make a scarf label :D so these styles are still easy to find 2 months down when its still cold out here in chicago :)

WendyB said...

You definitely have a flair for scarves. The color of this one is fabulous.

Katy said...

I like all the ways you listed!

Erica said...

Posts like these are a big reason why I love your blog! In addition to having spot-on style, you also make every piece of your wardrobe so versatile. It's very inspiring! :)

jennifer said...

I love scarf week!

Now I need to keep my eye out for some good scarves the next time I go thrifting...