Wednesday, August 08, 2012

The Smelly Eye

My sister lived in Honolulu for a few years. I visited her while on TDY in the area and she took me on a tour of some of her favorite outdoor spots. As we left a small beach with the fiercest surf I’ve ever seen, she stiffened and angrily told me that a local had just given her “the stink eye.” Although she explained the term and its meaning to me, I thought it was ridiculous that anyone could be so worked up over a stranger’s facial expression. To indicate my disregard for the practice, I dubbed it the “smelly eye.”


Shirt, Old Navy. Skirt, Mossimo. Hat, Charming Charlie. Sandals, Seychelles (thrifted). Necklaces, The Bead Factory and gift. Bracelets, Target and Claires. Rings, vintage, gift, and PuzzrollRings.

While I scoff at the smelly eye, I do have respect for the evil eye. Because, you know, everyone's jealous of me. I’m fond of jewelry and charms that repel an evil gaze. Maybe it works against the stink eye, too.


1 comment:

Angie said...

congratulations for putting so much work on your garden.It's thriving! The outfit is great as usual esp the accessories.In Greece we beleive a lot in the evil eye and many kinds of charms and mystic rhymes are used to send it away.